Current Issue Contents - June
Towering over the Oklahoma City skyline, the Devon Energy Center is the tallest skyscraper in a state synonymous with oil and gas. What could better reflect a company that set its sights on unbounded growth from its humble beginnings 50 years ago, and that is fresh off making history yet again after a merger of equals with WPX Energy. AOGR looks back at the founding of a company by a father and son team with zero assets and no reserves, how it played a foundational role in the unconventional revolution and looks forward at its bold plans for the future as it continues to represent the very pinnacle of industry innovation and success. The special Devon Energy: 50 Years reports conclude with a deep dive into the evolving technical capabilities that distinguish Devon as one of the industry’s best and brightest. Next, the Cloud Computing reports open with logistical innovations that are reducing produced water management costs and helping transform wastewater into a valuable commodity. The section also delves into the ways Laredo Petroleum is embracing digital technologies to improve economic and ESG performance across its Permian operations. Finally, the Well Diagnostics reports highlight new solutions to collect and analyze downhole data from the drilling to production phases. Industry news includes announcements about COGA’s Energy Summit and the annual conventions of the Petroleum Alliance of Oklahoma and KIOGA. Cover photo courtesy of Devon Energy Corp.
SPECIAL REPORT: DEVON ENERGY
- COVER STORY: When Devon Energy was founded in 1971, John and Larry Nichols scarcely could have envisioned that it one day would be crowned king of U.S. independent operators. Similarly, when Devon spudded the Blakely Estate No. D2 in the burgeoning Barnett Shale nearly 20 years ago, no one could have predicted that it would touch off a revolution in resource development that would completely reshape energy markets. Yet, that was precisely the net result. Today, Devon has built a vast portfolio in premium tight oil basins. But exactly as it did with that first horizontal in 2002, the company is leveraging advanced technology to reset operational paradigms and open new business opportunities to propel its journey into the next 50 years. | by Danny Boyd
- Devon Energy Corporate Timeline and Development Milestones
- Half Century of Innovation Underpins Devon’s Legacy
At the center of Devon’s business approach is an enterprise-scale, data-centric digital platform that will help foster innovation and discovery for years to come in well construction, completion and production. | Featuring Trey Lowe
- New Logistics Solutions Reduce Financial, ESG Costs of Produced Water Disposal | by Jeff O’Block and Frank Olmstead
Cloud-based logistics tools and transaction management software are offering real-time solutions for produced water.
- Laredo’s Cloud Strategy Paying Off | by Brandon Brown
With an aggressive timeline, Laredo Petroleum is partnering with Amazon Web Services on a digital transformation that includes innovative ways to reduce venting and flaring.
- Downhole Tools Collect Data Efficiently to Drive Well Performance | by Colter Cookson
Thanks to more robust and affordable downhole tools and models that transform data into deeper insights, it is easier than ever to infer what is going on down hole.
- Capitol Hill: Biden signs CRA measure to restore Obama methane rule
- State Legislative: Ohio passes law to prevent natural gas bans
- Executive Actions: Biden administration inserts itself into Line 5 controversy; USFWS proposes ESA listing for lesser prairie chicken; Interior freezes ANWR oil and gas leases
- In the Courts: U.S. Supreme Court nixes New Jersey’s attempt to block PennEast Pipeline; Federal judge issues injunction against Biden’s federal leasing freeze; Federal court vacates FERC’s approval of operating pipeline; Ruling cites sage grouse to halt activity in portions of Wyoming and Montana; Judge tosses suit against DRBC fracturing ban
- Market Signals: Dallas Fed survey sees activity surge
- NEPA Reforms: Court tosses anti-development suits against Trump-era amendments
- Petroleum Alliance of Oklahoma: Convention looks to region’s future
- KIOGA Convention: Pompeo to offer keynote remarks
- The Energy Summit: Event to consider today and tomorrow
- Tech Connections
- Washington Watch